The old confusing food pyramid is gone. Now we visually show you on a graphic of a plate, how much food and the types of food you need at each meal to be healthy.
Go to http://choosemyplate.gov for more information
about half the plate should be (fruits and veggies), a ,about 1/4 should be 100% whole-wheat grains like brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread, or wheat tortilla, and protein should be about the size of your palm (meats, fish, beans, soy), plus a cup of dairy (milk, eggs, yogurt), and plenty of water thoughout the day.
Take half your bodyweight and drink that many ounces of water per day
So if your 200 pounds, then half is 100 lbs, so you need to drink 100 ounces of water per day to keep from getting dehydrated.
PALA is the new presidential active lifestyle award recognized by the federal government to encourage healthy lives for kids and adults.
The site has all the details, everyone who finishes the program will be awarded and recognized for their achievements.
This program truly lives up to its name. The Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (PALA) challenge will help you add activity to your life, and reward you when you do.
Is This For Me?
This challenge is for anyone, from students to seniors, but it’s geared toward people who want to set themselves on the path to fitness success.
Here are the goals:
- Adults (that’s anyone aged 18 and older): You need to be active 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week, for 6 out of 8 weeks. As an alternative, you can count your daily activity steps using a pedometer (goal: 8,500).
- Kids and teens (that’s anyone between 6 and 17 years): You need to be active 60 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week, for 6 out of 8 weeks. As an alternative, you can count your daily activity steps using a pedometer (girls’ goal: 11,000; boys’ goal: 13,000).
Starting the PALA will help you or your students:
- Commit to daily physical activity—and stick with it.
- Set realistic goals to encourage fitness for a lifetime.
- Track your progress with our free personal activity log, which you can access online after you create an individual account, or on a paper log (PDF).
PALA makes fitness fun! Yes, you need to be active every day, but participants can choose all kinds of activities to meet this goal—playing with the kids, gardening, walking, playing basketball, running, yoga, and more.
Did Someone Say ‘Award’?
It’s easy to earn the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award. All it takes is a nearly daily commitment to physical activity for 6 out of 8 weeks. Stick with the program and you’ll earn an award in less than two months. So what are you waiting for? Sign up today!